Thursday, August 28, 2008

Big News



To be honest, I'm not sure if this is still "news" to anybody. BUT...it is official now. Brendan has received his orders to return to active duty effective 15 September. Captain McShea is back in the saddle again! Brendan served in the army for 6 years after graduating from West Point in 2001. He decided it was time to get out and give the civilian world a try. We both needed to experience a life when we weren't tracking time by either how long it had been since the last deployment or how much longer it would be until the next. By the time Liam was 3 years old, Brendan had been deployed for exactly half of his little life. It was difficult, no question about it. So Brendan went to work for SAIC, as a civilian contractor, where he worked as the Missile Defense Agency's liaison to the army at Fort Bliss. But in the back of his mind, there was always the nagging feeling that he wasn't doing what he was supposed to be doing. The military life is not for everyone, but it is for Brendan. I used to think it wasn't for me, either, but after being away from it for a while and gaining a fresh perspective, I am proud that in a few short weeks, I will be able to call myself an army wife again. And I am very proud of Brendan, who in these uncertain and trying times, is not thinking of his own comfort, but of serving others. It won't be easy, but I know that with God's grace to protect us, we'll be just fine. And if you're wondering, Liam is proud of his daddy, too. When Brendan asked him how he would feel if daddy was a soldier again, Liam didn't hesitate for a second. "Do it, Daddy!" He tells Brendan that he'll really miss him if he has to deploy, but that there are other kids in the world who need him to protect them, too. That's a pretty deep thought for a 5 year old, if you ask me!
So that's the news! He has to report no later than the 15th of September, but there is a chance he may start inprocessing by next week. He has already given his notice to SAIC and they have been very supportive and flexible in helping him make this transition.
And on a side note, for everyone in the universe who has ever told me that my kids are carbon copies of Brendan...could you look at the picture above of baby Brendan? Are you absolutely sure? I just don't think my babies ever really looked like that! Tell it to me straight, I can take it! LOL. ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of Brendan, too!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's big news to me! May God bless your family during this transition. I appreciate the service and the sacrifice your family is making for our country. I don't know many 5-year-olds who have such a broad world view and that kind of empathy for others. That's certainly a credit to the way you have raised him, that he cares about other kids who need the freedoms we enjoy!

Jillian Camwell said...

What a tough decision to have made. I hope you all find peace with it. Stay safe, Brendan! What an amazing thing you are doing for your family and countless others.

Davis Family said...

Welcome Back! Congrats! My prayers are with you all.

Anonymous said...

You guys will be in our thoughts and prayers. I always think of you when I see the saying, "Home of the Free, because of the brave." I am sure it was not an easy decision. Elizabeth, because of your support and the support of the kids, Brendan can do what he feels he needs to. You family is a blessing to this nation, and for that we say, Thanks.
God Bless!